There is a spectrum of feelings someone may experience in the midst of a career transition. For some, however, being laid off can turn out to be one of the best things to ever happen to them.
In this episode of the Global Medical Device Podcast, Jon Speer talks to Aaron Moncur, owner of Pipeline Design & Engineering and host of the Being an Engineer podcast, as they both reflect on the twists and turns of their professional journeys to help others realize their full potential and seize new career opportunities.
Some highlights of this episode include:
- Falling out of love with your role or no longer working in a previously held role? Do things differently and focus on ownership of the entire process, not just pieces.
- Situational or necessity? Aaron’s sense of entrepreneurship and making his own money has existed since childhood. Being laid off pushed him into taking action.
- Losing your job or starting a business: which is more terrifying? Being laid off made Aaron feel physically ill, compared to the thrill of being a freelancer.
- Owners and employees have different perspectives and motivation regarding everyday work. The demand is for people who do specific work or do it all.
- How well does your measurement system work? If measurement systems analysis (MSA) creates inconsistent data, it leads to less confidence in products.
- Entrepreneurs’ Organization (EO) offers guidance on how to build a business, seek clarity, obtain feedback, find mentors/coaches, and narrow your niche.
- Culture of Closing and Collaboration: Medical device industry is schedule driven and technically challenged to deliver on time to solve a problem.
Memorable Quotes by Aaron Moncur:
“Instead of being a cog in the machine, I preferred to be the machine.”
“If I had not been laid off, I probably would never have gone out on my own. I look back and see being laid off as one of the biggest blessings of my life.”
“There’s just something about the satisfaction of being able to make my own money.”
“I think it all comes down to time. If you need to finish a product faster than your internal resources allow you to do...that’s where we can help.”
ABOUT THE GLOBAL MEDICAL DEVICE PODCAST:
The Global Medical Device Podcast powered by Greenlight Guru is where today's brightest minds in the medical device industry go to get their most useful and actionable insider knowledge, direct from some of the world's leading medical device experts and companies.