This past month, the FDA drafted a guidance on a quick path to approval as an alternative to the 510(k). The question is, is this really anything new? Today, we’ll be talking to Mike Drues, president of Vascular Sciences, and he’s going to help us all understand what’s different about this fast track and how it might benefit you.Listen Now:
Some of the highlights of the show include:
● What the new draft is about and how long this fast track has really been around.
● Some thoughts on the ramifications for the FDA and medical device companies since President Trump came into office.
● The FDA’s revised definition of “least burdensome.”
● Why, despite increased marketing and hype, the “new” path is not really new at all.
● What “abbreviated” means in this case and why it doesn’t necessarily mean faster or easier.
● Some questions to ask yourself if you want to know if you are working on something new or novel.
Links and Resources:
“The alternative path is being marketed as a new fast-track path... that is obviously going to capture people’s attention. But is there anything new about it?” -Mike
“The new path puts a greater emphasis on technical standards... it’s similar to what we’ve been accustomed to many years.” -Jon
“This is exactly the abbreviated 510(k). There is absolutely nothing new here.” -Mike
ABOUT THE GLOBAL MEDICAL DEVICE PODCAST:
The Global Medical Device Podcast powered by Greenlight Guru is where today's brightest minds in the medical device industry go to get their most useful and actionable insider knowledge, direct from some of the world's leading medical device experts and companies.